Who knows about ABS components?

Been trying to track down %*^&*&^ noise from E34  engine compartment
which has been recently identified as haywire ABS system kicking in
at the wrong times...when traction is fine, and foot is off the brake.

Now that I know this, I need to find the offending component. Hard
without good knowledge of how it works.

Here's a clue..I did find some net info describing certain death for
an ABS relay if the car is ever attempted to be jump started with the
POS and NEG leads reversed.  Ahem.  I'd rather not discuss the
incident.

Could explain strange behavior. May or may not be the true cause.

Does anyone know a source of detailed info/diagram/diagnosis of BMW
ABS Systems?

Jonathan

PS: Thanks to Ron Buchalski et al for helpful replies so far.
Jonathan Schwartz,
Mill Valley CA
jonathan@domain.elided

'95 525iaT