Could I have a bad fuel send unit??

Hello all!!

I have recenly had some problems with my fuel guage.  Sometimes when I get
to about 1/4 tank and then I fill'er up it stays on 1/4 and goes all the way
down until the light turns on.  But it isn't empty because I fill'er up.
Then a day or two later problem fixes itself and she reads fine.  It's
happened three or four time now.  Are these symtoms of a bad fuel sending
unit??  How much would something like this be to fix?  I know you need a
special key to change the fuel pump, would I need the same key for the
sending unit?  TIA!!

Manuel Paredes
95 325i sharked, x-ed, m3mflrd, and a whole lotta otha goddies!
L.A. BMWCCA