No heat...and I need it its colllllllld

Hello,

I have never really needed the heat in my 88 528e until now.  I had tried it be
fore and heard a wierd whinning noise and a burning smell, I never used it afte
r that.  Now I tunred it on this morning i heard the whinning and a grinding no
ise smelled something burning and the air comming in from the heat vents stoppe
d completly and now nothing comes through the heat vent. No noise and no air on
ly a faint burning smell.. Goes away when the fan is turned off.

Is this caused by a belt of some sort or  by the fan motor?

Any suggestions?
Its cooooolld out there
Syed

And thanks to all of the List members who gave me suggestions on my questions
re: taking the fan off the water pump.