E30 clock/temp gauge

I have a problem with the digital clock/temp gauge in
my '87 325.  Most of the time the display flashes
random patterns.  When I push and hold the time button
it will display the correct time for a few seconds and
then go back to flashing.  I recently replaced the
service indicator batteries and the instrument panel
seems to work OK.  Does this problem sound familiar to
anyone?

TIA

Jim Leach
Oceanside, Ca.