E30 clock/temp gauge

jim leach sez
>I have a problem with the digital clock/temp gauge in
>my '87 325.  Most of the time the display flashes
>random patterns.  When I push and hold the time button
>it will display the correct time for a few seconds and
>then go back to flashing.  I recently replaced the
>service indicator batteries and the instrument panel
>seems to work OK.  Does this problem sound familiar to
>anyone?

common problem with clock/temp display in E30s

try removing the unit (pop off plastic 'rim' around it with
 a knife.. then squeeze the plastic snaps and pull unit out)

unplug it and clean up the contacts with contact cleaner
(from an electronics store like radio shack)

this often cures the problem

sometimes there are problems with solder joints inside the
unit but the above solves the problem most of the time

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002