what worked for me

hello:

over the past year or two ive had the occasion
to write to this list several times, asking for advice
regarding my '87 535is.  without fail ive always
received thoughtful responses from list members;
much appreciated.  ive often wished i could "give
something back", but i seldom feel i have the
knowledge or experience to intelligently respond
to the questions asked...

but today id like to share a *very good thing* i did
to my bimmer this weekend.  many readers already
know this im sure, its really just common sense, but
ill report it anyway, maybe to ease my concience
for being a taker on this list, but mostly because
i just drove it into work and im so damn happy
i cant stand it.

lately my car had been suddenly dropping rpm at
highway speed, only for a second...then it comes
back up.  well, last week it actually stalled, so
i thought it was time to get under the hood.  i was
running the troubleshooting chart in the bentley
manual; checked the grounds, checked the cap,
etcetcetc.  got to the part about the throttle plate
adjustment.  "note: clean it first" or something like
that, and mine was definitely cruddy so i made it
sparkle with 2+2.  i then adjusted the stop, opening
the plate just a hair (first time i did it too much
and
the damn thing idled at like 1000 rpm...).

today i feel like i have a new car.  the difference
is Dramatic.  idle is smooth, acceleration Much
improved, and the best part is that the rpms dont
drop off so rapidly when you ease off the throttle...
makes shifting a greatly improved experience.
amazing.  highly reccommended.  dont know if
ive solved my cut-out problem but that surew was
a quick and inexpensive improvement.

now the obligatory question for anyone whos still
reading:  id like to clean my k&n re-usable air
filter;
do i need to buy their kit, or has anyone had good
experience with common shop solvents/oils?  i was
thinking detergent in water as a cleaner followed
by light oil (like 3 in 1) mist.  i would appreciate
any
advice.

thank you,
kurt.