Rearview mirror adapters?-Where?

Hi All:

Sorry for the crosspost, but I cannot remember what digest I remember
seeing it on.

I would like to mount a standard button type mirror on my 98 M3. Problem is
that twist-lock mount on the windsheild is not the standard "button" style
mount used on most other cars. (I want to mount a flux-gate compass and
auto-dimming mirror.)

I remember reading a post from someone who knew of a person who made an
adapter that twisted on to the factory mount and provided a standard
"button" mount for a standard (at least in the US) mirror.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these adapters?

I have scoured my digest archives, but can't find a thing. I seem to
remember the post was in response to an M-coupe owner who complained that
the rear-view mirror was too big. The poster suggested using this adapter
with a smaller, aftermarket mirror.

Many thanks for *ANY* leads.

- -Ed