E30 Shudder

Jerry,  I recently purchased an '87 325 that had the
same type of shudder that you describe.  The previous
owner had already replaced the Guibo and the center
support.  I removed the entire driveshaft assy. and
took it to the local BMW service center.  They showed
me that both of the U-joints were worn out.  They were
noticeably "notchy" when moved from side to side.  The
U-joints are not easily replaceable.  I purchased a
completely rebuilt driveshaft assy. from a local
driveline specialty shop - $365 w/tx.  Included
everything except the guibo.  My 325 now drives as
smoothly as new.  BTW my 325 has 140,000 mi. on the
OD.

Best of Luck.
Jim Leach
Oceanside, Ca.