RE: 85 318i window buttons

"Baines, Elliot A, JR (Chip)" <ebaines@domain.elided> sez:

> I'm not sure about the 3-series, but my '86 528e did not have
> illuminated window switches. It does now, however. The trick
> is to go to your dealer (or some other vendor like Bavarian
> AutoSports), and ask for illuminated window switches for an
> '88 or later.  I found that they plug right into the
> existing switch connector, with just one minor modification
> needed: there's an extra plastic tab on the back of the
> illuminated switch that doesn't let it plug into the stock
> connector.  Simply use a pair of pliers to rip that tab off,
> and you're set. Bavarian sells them for around $30 each -
> you might want to check with your local dealer, who may
> actually have it for less (with your BMW CCA discount).

Chip gives excellent advise.
Allow me to follow up with two suggestions:
1). all E30s that I had run into had illuminated electric switches (my '89
E30 certainly does). The bulb inside is $1.00 1.2W bulb that is always in
stock at your local dealer. The parts department may refuse to admit that
those bulbs are replaceable (and try to sell you $35 switch), but they are.
Open your existing switch with a help of a small screw driver. Make a note
how the cover fits on the switch to avoid figuring that out later. If there
is a bulb inside, take it to the dealer's parts counter and they will fetch
you as many as you need. Buy a few extra bulbs as these are the same bulbs
that go into all interior switches/center console in an E30.
2). if there is no bulb inside your switch, consider visiting a junk yard
first. A while back I picked up two spare switches (one window one defog)
for $5 for both.

alex f