RE: 85 318i window buttons

Morrie:

I'm not sure about the 3-series, but my '86 528e did not have illuminated
window switches.  It does now, however.  The trick is to go to your dealer
(or some other vendor like Bavarian AutoSports), and ask for illuminated
window switches for an '88 or later.  I found that they plug right into the
existing switch connector, with just one minor modification needed: there's
an extra plastic tab on the back of the illuminated switch that doesn't let
it plug into the stock connector.  Simply use a pair of pliers to rip that
tab off, and you're set. Bavarian sells them for around $30 each - you might
want to check with your local dealer, who may actually have it for less
(with your BMW CCA discount).   If you get the switches from the dealer, you
may should bring one of your existing switches with you to compare before
you buy.  The same switch also works for the electric sunroof.  I ended up
changing all the switches on the shifter console, plus the sunroof.  I left
the switches on the rear doors dark .

Again, all this is for a 5-series, so YMMV.  The Bavarian AutoSports catalog
indicates that the same illuminted switch part number works in the 3-series
'85-'91 and the 5-series '87 - '88, so my guess is it should work for you.
Good luck.

- -Chip Baines
BMW CCA
'86 528e