radio, alternator, and other small difficulties... (longish)

good morning!

i've got an '84 318i that i love.  i haven't had her on the road much in
several months because i was using my other car ('90 alpha romeo
spider) during the warmer weather.  i have, however been running
her regularly - at least once a week.  suddenly i've started
experiencing a cluster of small difficulties mostly of an electrical
nature.

1. 	first my battery went and died.  i tested the battery itself, pulled
	it from the car and tried to charge it and it would not hold a
	charge.  so i replaced it.

2.	two days later, i went out start her and nothing. another dead
	battery.  i charged this battery and it is fine.  when i put the
	battery back in, i discovered that one of the interior lights (the
	one just about the driver's side door) was on and that this was
	probably what drained the new battery.  the problem is that this
	particular light has not worked since i got the car.  i have no
	idea why it was suddenly working.

3.	i turned it off.  when i went to turn it back on again, it was not
	working again.  fine, i drove the car for a couple more days
	without problem.

4.	then, this morning, out i go to leave for work, start the car,
	nothing.  battery's dead again.  jump her, starts right back up
	again. lo and behold that same interior light is on again.

5.	about the time my first battery died, the temp guage on my
	dash stopped registering.  i have heat which, rightly or wrongly,
	leads me to believe the thermostat is functioning properly.

HELP!!

6.	i have ordered all the mounting hardware and bushing for a new
	alternator along with the new alternator.  i intend to replace the
	alternator adjustment arm at the very least because i've known
	this needed it for a bit.  i also have a new thermostat and have
	no problem installing that - it simply seems prudent and will do
	no harm.  how do i tell whether or not i have an alternator
	problem?

7.	i believe that i can simply replace the switch for the light and
	avoid whatever problems that might be causing until i can do
	something more permanent.  but i have no idea what to do
	about the temp guage.  any ideas?

8.	to top it all off, my radio has gone a bit nuts during all of this.
	suddenly a couple of days ago, it simply stopped receiving and
	all the display showed was the number "1" bright and clear and
	uhelpful.  i turned it off and turned it back on, no change.  the
	next day, when i started the car, it was back to normal.  this
	morning it was normal to start with (after the car was jumped)
	and had even managed to have maintained its station memory
	despite the dead battery.  that was a surprise unto itself.  then
	it freaked out again and the display went nuts.  the station
	frequency number started flashing "1" "0" "2" "9" in sequence,
	over and over again.  i turned it off, then turned it back on.  the
	flashing sequence had stopped and a big bright "3" sits there in
	the center of the display and nothing i do changes it in the
	least.  does this mean something?

can anyone tell me if this cluster of electrical stuff is a bunch of
coincidental events or does it point to some underlying problem
(major or minor)?  clues to any or all of these would be greatly
appreciated...

thanks and enjoy!!

liz

'84 BMW 318i