Check Engine Light

Hello all, I own a 93 325i, it runs great, no signs of any problems what so
ever. 4 months ago my check engine light turned on for about a day and it
went away again by itself. I just thought of it as a "glitch". Well
yesterday this happened again and it's still on. Nothing else seems to be
malfunctioning. Does anybody have any ideas about what the problem could be.
Is it something I should take to the shop or just ignore it for a couple of
days. Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks a lot
Hassan , 325i Minnesota.