Re:Certified Preowned BMW Woes

Davis -

I don't know HOW they could have certified the car of which you speak.
I looked seriously into the "Certified" process and found that it is a
dealer cost of around $1500 to inspect many items on the car.  I believe
you can get a list of these at the BMW web site, if not there I'm sure
it's available somewhere.

I have heard of some of the issues you're talking about (heated seats
wrong, gauges in the wrong spot) from an AutoWeek article a year or so
ago, but these were fixed by the dealer under warranty.  Most of your
non-cosmetic issues should be fixed by the dealer under the original
warranty.

As far as the wheels, and steering alignment, sounds like something is
bent underneath.  The other cosmetics were suppose to be fixed as part
of the purchase.  If the dealer won't take care of these issues
immediately and without hesitation, I'd politely thank them and call BMW
USA from their lobby and ask their advice.  Sounds like all those issues
should be fixed.

The radio, since it's aftermarket, probably is your baby.  But it
doesn't sound like anything a decent stereo store couldn't fix for a
couple of bucks.  Just go there and tell them you're looking for a home
theatre for your new mansion and oh, by the way can you check the stereo
in my Bimmer?

Good luck.

John Virnig
'97 328is