Re: 1998 318TI - What's My Warranty?

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, oyez wrote:
> I've just purchased a 1998 318ti from a Toyota dealership.  I assumed at
> the time of purchase that the factory warranty was 36 month/36,000
> mile.  The warranty manual that I found in the glvoe compartment seems
> to support this; however, I have seen a couple of reviews on the car
> that list a 48 month/50,000 mile warranty for the 1998 318ti.  Could
> some of you confirm that this is just wishfull thinking on my part.

I believe the warranty is indeed 48-month or 50000 miles.  The free
scheduled maintainance only goes to 36000 miles.

> Also, the car currently has 22,800 miles on it and the warranty book has
> not been stamped, so I don't know what service has been performed to
> date.  I purchased the car in another state.  Is the local BMW dealer
> going to give me problems in regard to warranty service, because the
> previous service has not been documented?

Well... if the service was done at a BMW dealership anywhere they will be
able to look it up through the DCS (dealer communications system).  I
wouldn't worry.

> I currently have 4 yellow lights lit on the service indicator.   A
> window sticker indicates that the oil was just changed.  Any advice on
> what type of scheduled maintenance may be due now or coming up in the
> next year?

Sounds like your Inspection I (see your maintainance book) was just done
not too long ago.  You shouldn't need anything until the next oil service
which will probably be like 27000 miles.  Just watch the little lights. :)
Other than that, keep your battery filled with distilled water and have
fun. :)  A lot of list members, myself included, like to do an extra oil
change halfway through the service period.  Extra piece of mind. :)  the
lights tend to reccommend oil changes every 9000 miles or so... that's a
little alarming to you when the oil manufacturers have conditioned you to
be thinking 3000 mile intervals :)

ENJOY YOUR CAR!  I hope you love it as much as I love mine.

Barry J. Bocaner
<barry@domain.elided>
http://web.bocaner.net