RE: 325 Blower Motor

> I noticed tonight that my 325 blower motor only works in speed #4, in
> either HEAT or A/C.  I checked the 30A fuse and it's good.  Is there a
> separate fuse for the lower speeds or should I begin troubleshooting
> elsewhere??

Rick ,
There is a resistor (a plastic box with 3 different size/resistance coils)
behind the firewall right in the middle of the heater blower motor. You
can't miss it once you a). remove the firewall (6-8 screws) and the plastic
cover of the heater blower (2 plastic straps). To remove, just pull it out
(forward and up).
On max speed (4) the resistor is bypassed. On speeds 1-3, 12V go through the
flaky resistor. You can take the resistor out, re-solder the joints and it
will work for a while longer. A more permanent fix is a replacement resistor
from BMW for around $15.
When you look at the part, you will think it is hardly worth 15c. But the
price is well worth it in the time wasted constantly fixing this
contraption.

> Also, does anyone know what the black protruding knob, about the
> diameter of a dime is for that is located on the dash just above the
> TEMPERATURE rheostat??

We are talkin E30s, right?
I think this was designed to be the location for an interior temperature
sensor, which we did not get in the US. There is also an extra 1 wire
connector in the OBC harness that goes nowhere in the US cars. I assume
that's the connector to the non-existent interior temp sensor.
Not sure if this feature was available anywhere else in the world.

alex f