Re: [Q] E34 Headlights

Ron wrote:
I have a 1993 525iT which does not have the ellipsoidal headlights.  One of
the headlights is cracked, and needs to be replaced.  Since I have a set of
E-code Hella lamps which I will be taking off another (E30) BMW, I was going
to put them on the 525iT.  However, the wiring harness on the 525iT is
different than the E30.  The 525iT uses those 9000-series halogen lamps, so
it uses a different type of socket than the E30.

Q1) Where can I locate a connector which will hook up to the wiring harness
on the 525iT?  I'd like to make some adapters to connect them to my E-code
lights (H1/H4 bulbs).  It would be the same type of connector which is on
the 9000 series halogen lamp.

Q2) How do the E-code Hellas compare to the ellipsoidal headlights that BMW
used on later 5-series cars (1994-95)?  If the ellipsoidals are so much
better, is it worth it to switch?  Would it be a simple headlight swap, or
would it require new headlight buckets?

Q3) As an alternative, does anyone have a right-side low beam
non-ellipsoidal headlight from a E34 that you'd like to sell?

Thanks,

- - -rb

Ron,
Stop, do not waste your time trying to put in e30 light in an e34.
In their infinite wisdom, BMW headlights have a common mount for the lights
that does not accept the same lights in your e30 (ask me how I know this).
Go to a location i.e. http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com) that has pulled
off the lighting assemblies off either an e34 or e32 (7 series). They are
the same pieces. I prefer the Hella elipsoids over the NAL (North American
Lighting, Hella owned but HORRIBLE glass quality) standard lights. My
understanding is that the elipsoids were installed originally in all e34s
but when people (after accidents) started claiming them against the
insurance companies, they (the insurance companies) screamed at the
replacement cost. So BMW contracted out a VERY CHEAP replacement. TaDa,
headlights that crack, chip, and do not provide the equivalent lighting.
Part of the fault also resides with DOT for their myopic view of
headlights. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck,
Steve