FW: <E30> More Hits than Sosa (Exhaust)

My aftermarket exhaust hits the under part or my car about a foot in front
of the front edge of the exhaust.  My 88 325iC has a under body piece that
is about 1 1/2 wide that crosses from side to side between the doors and
rear wheel wells.  The exhaust clearance is only about 5/8 of an inch at
this point.  Just when things get fun, I hear this thud/thud sound.  I can
not just lower the exhaust because where it almost hits is so far forward
that the exhaust tip would have to be about 6 inches lower than the bottom
of the bumper.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Is there some sort of non-burnable, heat dispensing pad that I can slide in
there which will solve this problem?

Eric

after market exhaust, new hangers/hardware.