Re: E46 Moonroof

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Frank Natoli wrote:

> 2000 323i has a strange problem with its moonroof, probably
> a computer programming glitch. On occasion, after start,
> pressing moonroof open switch has no effect. Pressing
> moonroof close switch opens as vent (no kidding). THEN
> pressing moonroof close switch closes moonroof. Then
> pressing moonroof open or vent open operates normally.

It could be, but I wouldn't rule out a hardware failure without more
testing. Over time, perhaps the moonroof rattles away from its limit
sensor - I really don't know.

> Anyone else see this problem? I know the Japonischers cannot
> write firmware code to save their lives, but I'm surprised
> the Deutschlanders have the same problem.

You shouldn't be.  Bugs and time-to-market pressures are the same all
over. What may be different this time around is that markets outside
Germany are getting the new models sooner, and get to experience more
of the early engineering problems.

Freude am Versuchsfahren. :)

- -John
'96 318is