RE: From the mundane to the sublime -- and wheels for sale

> A mixed bag tonight.  First, I am planning to embark on
> replacement of the transmission fluid in my 635's 4HP22EH
> autobox with synthetic. I know I have to do this repeatedly
> to get all (or nearly all) of the old fluid out. Question
> is, how much should I expect to remove/replace at one time?

Mike,
I don't know if it is imperative to remove all of the old dyno oil, but if
it is you can help your cause by also draining the oil cooler (either under
the radiator or as a part of the radiator itself).

> Next up, I was wondering -- I've never finished tracking down
> my last electrical gremlin, which has my aux fan not working
> right. I can jumper two of the contacts on the dual temp switch
> and get the fan to run on high,

That's good => the ($250) aux fan is functional.

> but jumpering the low speed contacts gets me nothing.

On E30's this means that the aux fan resistor is shot. It is usually mounted
at 2 o'clock position in front of the aux fan and is visible through the
front grill (a long rectangular box with one wire coming in/going out). The
resistor itself is cheap (<$15), but getting to and removing it is a PITA
and may require removing the aux fan (and the radiator + condenser).

alex f