Ques on sway bar bushings

 I'm trying to replace the sway bar bushings on my 88 325iC.  The old
bushings (where sway bar is bolted to chassis) are off of the car.  I'm
trying to put the new bushings on, but they don't seem to fit.  This is the
first time I've changed these bushings, so I don't know if they should drop
in with little-to-no resistance, or if its one of those things that are
hard to get in place and seat themselves over time.  When I slide the
bushing over the sway bar, there is a gap in the split of the bushing,
about an 1/8 inch. The car is a convertible, is it possible that the
convertible has a slightly larger sway bar than the standard 325i?  Any
pointers would be great!

Thanks,
Keith Turner
BMWCCA member