Help! Are there any late model 7 series folks out there?

Hello everyone!

Just a few quick questions.

I recently purchased a 1986 735 from an older woman for $1000.  She said the
car had been sitting for a while because it needed the shifter rod replaced
in the transmission, thus the car could not go into gear.  Right now I am
looking for suggestions on where I could purchase a rebuilt transmission for
a reasonable price.  Also, I was wondering:

1.	If these cars are difficult to work on or expensive to maintain?  I
really don't see a lot of postings on them.
2.	Are parts difficult to get for this car?
3.	Is this a car that can be easily restored?
4.	What is reasonable for the tranny (and possibly a new engine)?
*	I've checked Bavarian Auto Recycling are there any others?  (I'm in
PA)
5.	Should I try and sell it for parts and get my money back?

An associate here had a 1985 7 series that he purchased new.  He loved his
car but he was forced to get rid of it for a Minivan - 4 kids and a soccer
mom.  He told me that he has never had any problems with his car and just
needed more space.  A bargain or a money pit?  Only time will tell.

Thanks
Eric
'94 318i (Sport springs, areo disk rotors and 130k... still a daily driver)
'86 735i (sitting in the drive leaking and crying to me...)