have to give up garage spot to fiancee - ouch!- parking a 740i with or without a cover?!

If I were you, I would put the 7 inside, and the 5 outside.  Depening on
which has the higher resale value of course.  But a mint 7 is worth more
than a mint 540, and your 7 has the current body style, so it is worth more.
The 95 540 is an older body style so it has dropped in value.  Consider
which one you plan on keeping, and which one will have to go eventually.
Keep in mind that selling a car with a bad paint job is harder to do than
one that is mint.

Brent

94 740 and 325