RE: New Honda Civic vs. Used BMW 3 Series

When faced with this same dilemma 2 years ago, I wound up getting an older
Mercedes 300D for $1800 to drive for work-related travel and reserving the
M5 for more entertaining missions.  Although it is slow as Christmas, the
M-B is surprisingly fun to drive, very reliable, and gets about 25 MPG.
Maintenance costs so far have totaled less than $200.  And it is especially
refreshing now to strap into the BMW after puttering around in the diesel.
If you can pick up one of these old cars in decent shape for a reasonable
price, I recommend it as an alternative.  As to new Honda vs. used BMW, go
with the new Honda - the new car will likely be more reliable in the long
run and you will have the benefit of a warranty.  The hidden plus is that
driving the Honda will make you appreciate your BMW even more.

Tripp
88 M5
78 300D