RE: <E30> Gear Fluids

> I want to change the oils in my 5 speed transmission & the rear
> axle on my '90 325i. Can I have some help as to what weights &
> grades of gear oil I should use. I noticed the owners manual says
> you can use engine oil & even automatic transmission fluid in the
> 5 speed. I have never seen this before. All suggestions are appreciated.

Richard,
	For 5 speed transmission, use Redline
(http://www.redlineoil.com/gearoil.htm) MTL. It will make shifting smoother.
Particularly in cold weather.
	Redline also has a rear differential oil 75W90 or 75W90NS (for non
LSD diffs). Avoid Redline if you have a LSD and over 100K on your E30. 75W90
Redline product will make you differential unbearably loud. Instead, try
80W90 weight products like Mobilube HD
(http://www.mobil.com/consumer/lubes/lubes/mmatf_fr.html).
	75W/80W GL-4 gear oil (Redline MTL) is equivalent to SAE 5W30/10W30
engine oil viscosity. So yes, you can use engine oil in the transmission. In
fact that's what most shops do.

alex f