RE: hydroplaning

> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:08:51 -0400
> From: "WM" <molux@domain.elided>
You should probably be (a) running the same tires front and rear,
and (b) replacing them all at the same time.  Always buy tires in
sets of four (like snow tires).  Remember:  two for power and two
for steering.

BMW's have wider wheels than most standard cars (6.5-7" as opposed
to 5.5-6").  Wider wheels / tires are great when it is dry, but in
the wet, they act like a boat keel.  More surface area means more
ability to float on water.  If you go for a really agressive tread
with lots of rubber on the road, you have even more surface area.

I've had decent luck with the Pirelli P4000 SuperTouring in Seattle
(where rain is not just an occurance, it's a way of life).  It's not
the greatest tire when it comes to dry handling, but it performs well
enough in the wet.  If you are really worried about it, find some old
cheap wheels (steel or bottlecap alloy) for your car and put the wet
weather tires on the cheapies and save the alloys for the high-performance
dry tires.

- -Derek
 '86 325es (totalled--soon to be taken from me)
 '90 325is (new car!)