<E30> Wiper Connection

I'm having some intermittent wiper problems. Some times they work & some
times they don't. I've checked the relay & all seems fine their. I got
frustrated the other night in an Atlanta down pour and struck the bottom
of the steering column cover with the palm of my hand & presto, they
started working. I need to check the connection & ground on the steering
column. Can this be done without removing the steering wheel? If not,
what about the "airbag"?....and if I disconnect it or pull the fuse,
wont the SRS light come on?   Then it's a trip to the dealer to get it
reset..Right? Give me some help on this, guys.

Richard Vaughn BMW CCA
Tarheel Chapter
'95 740i (Hers)
'96 Z71 (Mine)