E36 Rear end clunk

Hi all,

I have a 93 325 that is making some rear end noise and was hoping for some
ideas.
There seem to be two issues that may or may not be related.
One: When I put the car in gear, clutch depressed, I hear a distinct clunk
from the rear, the clutch is never released.
I have tried to put it in all gears and the noise is pretty consistent.
This seems to only happen at rest.
Two: I hear a whine coming from the rear, initially I was told by a
mechanic that it is tire noise. Well I have put on new tires and still the
same noise. The noise seem to increase in frequency with speed and is
pretty loud with the windows closed. Also does anyone know what is the diff
ratio on that car?
Any Ideas would be really appreciated???!!!!!

Thanks

David