e30 charcoal canister replacement, should I? Cold start problem...

HI all,

I've got an '86 325 (e style) and I think that maybe my charcoal canister is
bad.  Here are the possible irrelevant clues that I have:  when starting or
after driving sometimes, I notice a smell of fuel in the engine compartment,
but can't see any visible leaks.  The car has been "overfilled" with fuel at
least once since I've owned, and I understand that this can damage a
charcoal canister.

Can I buy a charcoal canister from a supplier such as GPR or BMP or someone?
Could this possibly be the cause of my engine taking forever to start when
the engine is cold?  It cranks forever, then just starts to "catch",
stutters a few times, then sounds smooth.  Once warm, just a second of
cranking fires it right up and it runs pretty darn smooth once warmed,
hesitant when cold.

I've had the head off and cleaned out carbon, tune it, but it does have 188k
miles now, am I asking too much?

thanks for any advice, big or small, on or off list!

- -Rod Birch