Simple, Elegant Valentine 1 Installation

Last time I posted... several month ago... I inquired about
installation suggestions for a soon-to-be-purchased V1 Radar Detector
for my E34.  I had already ruled out stock suction cup mount on the
windshield, and stock visor mount.  Didn't care for either of those.

I did, however, come up with a truly elegant and simple solution that
I'd like to share.  First, I went ahead and wired up the power to the
overhead sunroof wiring harness. Next, I use just 2 black tie-wraps,
securing the V1 stock visor mount directly to the rear view Mirror.
One goes over the top of the rear view Mirror mount and around the
spring clip of the V1 visor mount.  The other goes around the little
flip thing on the rear view Mirror  (You know...the
"Get-your-Damn-Highbeams-Out-of-My-Eyes....Jerk" lever thing), and
cinches tight against the same visor clip.  The BMW rear view mirror
parts have rubberized edges so the V1 just snugs right up.  With this
simple arrangement, The V1 is level and pointing straight out the
windshield at the highest level possible on the windshield.
Well...almost.  I had to add a little shim to account for the fact
that rear view mirror doesn't actually face straight
forward/backward.  It's cocked slightly toward the driver.

In any event...that's it.  I don't have telltale suction cup marks on
the windshield for all to notice. The unit just pops right out of the
visor mount when I leave the car (the clip stays attached to the
mirror).

I'm a happy camper.

And for those who remember my V1 versus Passport 7500 purchase
indecision....the Passport went home in a box the day I received it.
V1's directional arrows make the difference..

Jonathan Schwartz
95 525iaT
92 525i
89 325i

Jonathan Schwartz, Software Licensing/Business Development
Schwartz & Company
ph (415) 381-1852      fax (415) 381-1855
817 Marin Drive Mill Valley  CA 94941    jonathan@domain.elided