E36 headlight flicker at idle

I've noticed my 93 318is w/80k miles headlights flickering when I come to a stop
and the engine is at idle. It's not just the headlights actually, the dash
lights and tail lights and everything flickers/pulses at constant rate.  Revving
it up makes it go away - or at least I can't see it anymore.  I tried snugging
up the alternator belt, but that didn't help.  My dealer service records show
that the previous owner had the alternator replaced at 30k miles for THE SAME
COMPLAINT.  Anybody else experience this?

Thanks,

Andy Bommersbach
93 318is