Re: E28 Power Steering Problem

Richard wrote:
>My power steering pump has recently been whining to me.  There is an=20
>intermittent noise and vibration right in front of the firewall on the=20
>driver's side.  I can feel vibration when turning the wheel, especially =
to=20
>the right.
>Anyone else had this kind of experience?  Might I have to replace the=20
>power-steering pump?  Could the whole rack be going bad?  The car has =
178,000=20
>miles and never had any power-steering work done.

Richard:
Had/have same problem in my 85 325e.  Tech said entire rack would need to =
be replaced.
Major bucks.  Figured, what the heck, I'll try some stop leak snake oil =
first.  Bought the most
expensive stuff Trak Auto had (believe it's called K&W, but comes in a =
silver and blue metal can
marked Guaranteed and is also for Trannies, may even be a tranny stop =
leak, about $7/can).
Stopped the whine, power steering came back, but have to refill it every 4 =
months or so.  Beats the
cost of a new system.
Try it.
Mike
Washington DC

This e-mail is sent by a law firm and contains information that may be privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and notify us immediately.