E28 Power Steering Problem

Fellow Digesters:

My power steering pump has recently been whining to me.  There is an
intermittent noise and vibration right in front of the firewall on the
driver's side.  I can feel vibration when turning the wheel, especially to
the right.

I've heard from a fellow digester that there is a filter on the
power-steering system.  I called the local BMW dealer this morning, but the
parts guy had not heard of such a filter.  He is presently researching one
for me.

Anyone else had this kind of experience?  Might I have to replace the
power-steering pump?  Could the whole rack be going bad?  The car has 178,000
miles and never had any power-steering work done.

TIA,

Richard
'87 535i