Which jack stands

I need to bolt on some replacement parts under my year old M3.  I haven't
done much work on cars but I can't see paying someone to simply bolt on this
part.  The question I have is what is the proper jack stand to use on these
cars.  The only stand point seems to be located under the jack ports:  Those
locations have a round plastic pad.  All of the jack stands I've seen have a
profiled saddle that won't securely match that pad.  I just talked to
someone who mentioned that you can use a block of wood as a buffer.  I
suppose the saddle will nestle into the wood and make it somewhat secure but
I was wondering if their were stands designed for these pads.  The 12" or so
clearance is also an issue.