E36 annoying AC compressor noise

My 93 318is with 80k has developed a metallic "chickety - chickety - chickety"
noise that I have tracked down to the AC compressor.  When a rev it up it
reminds me a little of putting playing cards in the spokes of my bike when I was
a kid.  The AC works great and blows cold. Turning the AC on and off changes the
pitch of the noise a little, but it is still very much there.  Anybody had
anything similiar?  I almost wish the damn thing would give up so I could
justifiy replacing it - but it still works and has been for 3 or 4 months now!

Thanks,

Andy Bommersbach