WANTED: TRANSMISSION

Hello y'all.

	I'm writing from Northern Connecticut. and I need an automatic
transmission for my 86 535i.

	I like the car a lot. With 197,000m, I've been driving it for over
100,000k miles since I bought it with 94,000m.
I have loved everything about the car even its transmission when it is
working. It is the only thing I have had trouble with and I've been too
stubborn to replace it. bad move.
	What it does (even after fixing it - supposedly - endless times) is
this:  sticks in first gear for a couple of minutes until it warms
up.... and downshifts from 4th to 3rd and back again at highway cruising
speed.  Sometimes it doesn't do it for weeks. Other times it gets so bad
I just put it in third (remember it's automatic) and drive it there,
raising the rpms by about a thousand.  Sometimes (twice) it has just
flat broke -- transmission light has come on and it's switched into
permanent 3rd gear.  Then, of course, after sitting all night, it drives
fine the next day.

	It's running fine today, but it will do it again.  So I want to replace
it.

	The car was built late in the 86 cycle so I'm told it is the
transmission they put in the 87's -- lots of electronics and the S-E-123
dial.

	Anybody have one that you know works at a reasonable price?  preferably
near where I live in Northeastern CT near the Massachusetts and Rhode
Island borders?  but not necessarily/
thanks for the help.

peter lange