RE: Dust Shields on E30 M3???

Mark Johnson said:

Having warped two sets of rotors on my '83 633csi before pulling the
damned shields off, I must be in the "overly aggressive" category.  It is
a lot easier to wax the wheels so the dust cleans off easier than to pull
all four wheels for "events."

Sometimes, and event is coming across a nice country road ...

I recommend NuFinish on the wheels, and the dust shields in the trash.

Alex, why would anyone want an E30 M3 for relaxed city driving?

Mark Johnson

- ------------------------------

Fist of all, let me re-iterate the fact that my original post on this topic
was just my experience.  Nothing else.  Mark, have you ever thought that
maybe your '83 633CSI might have had air flow issues around your rotors.
And if that isn't the case, then I say you definitely fall into the "overly
aggressive" category.  That is unless you spend about $20 for your rotors.
I can get aggressive with the best of them (although I rarely feel the need
to) in the city, and have never cooked a set of rotors with my dust shields
on.  In fact, I've run across my fair share of twisty roads that I've had
fun on while my car had dust shields on, and the rotors suffered no ill
effects.

Now my original post also stated that I used the shields until I got my car
ready for driving schools, autocrosses, etc. and then pulled them off for
good and now live with the break dust.  I can't be bothered to go through
the painful process of installing and removing the break shields every time
I have a driving event to attend.

I recommend you toss your NuFinish in the trash if you want to keep the
break dust from caking onto your rims.  And the reason I use my '91 ///M3
for relaxed city driving is because this car is so fun and flexible in its
road manners that it is still fun to drive even when doing so leisurely.

Mark, how about we agree to disagree on this topic?  You say dust shields
should be tossed in the trash, and that they caused 2 sets of your rotors to
warp.  I say keep the dust shields and use them if your rotors are of good
quality, and you don't intend to use your car on the track.  Remember, some
people have better things to do that constantly clean the break dust off
their rims..........like drive their BMW!

Cheers,

Alex

End of bmw-digest V9 #1224