<E28> shock mount and subframe bushings

Hey guy and gals,

I attempted to replace my rear subframe bushings on my E28 over the weekend.
I ran into problems. They still need to be replaced.

First I put together a home made puller to remove the rear subframe bushings.
I never got to see if it worked. My first problem started when I removed the
lower shock mount bolt but was not able to pull the shock away from the
trailing arm. I tried prying it out, even put a 2x4 on the bottom and hit it
with a hammer. Would not budge. Of course I had a stand under the arm. I even
raised the arm a little to relieve any tension.

Next I tried removing knurled bolt going through the subframe bushing. I took
off the push strut, put the nut on the end of the bolt and hit with a hammer.
First I used a 2 1/2 pound blacksmith hammer. Next I tried a twelve pound
sledge hammer. With ear plugs and two hours later, I could not remove the
bolt. Steve D' says it takes about twenty seconds with an air hammer. I'll
have to find an air hammer I guess.

My first question, why won't the shock pull away from the trailing arm?

Second, question. How in the heck do you remove the knurled bolt with a
hammer?

Thanks,
Peter Schoppelry
'86 E28     181K miles