RE: Speakers....Continued

Brent wrote:

First of all, thank you everyone for your responses.  This is very helpful
in choosing a new set of speakers for my E36.  I have the split fold down
rear seats, and I am wondering if I should go with the JL Audio 8" woofers
which will replace the factory rear speakers, or if I should ADD a rear sub
woofer.  I know that I need to add some bass to the car, and this will be my
first immediate step.  So, my question is :  Should I get the JL audio
speakers for the rear factory locations, or should I go with a sub box in
the trunk like the ADS website recommends?  If so, what do you recommend for
my car.  Thanks again in advance.

Brent

'94 740il
'95 325is

Brent,
   I have a 99 M3 (with the HK option) and my first task will be to add a
seperate sub to the trunk with a dedicated amplifier/crossover.  The
tweeter and mids are not that bad.  Because of the fold down rear seats and
using a low crossover point (around 100 hertz or less), I don't think I
will need to perform any metal surgery.  When I find the wiring  and
harness location diagrams (I haven't really started this project yet), I
will modify the crossover points to the front and rear woofers to relieve
them of some low frequency duty (use them from their upper crossover
frequency (500 Hertz?, I don't know yet) to about 100 Hertz.  I belong to
an audio newsgroup dedicated to (mostly) low frequency reproduction and
they have their own driver that was developed by Avatar Audio (look at
their web site and go look at the "Shiva" driver).  It is a 12 inch dual
voice coil driver that will work well in a moderately sized sealed box or
in a relatively small box with some electronic equalization.  It is also
ideal to use with a passive radiator.  If you are handy with tools, you can
make a custom sized box to fit behind your rear seats. This system is
economically attractive and will yield very high quality bass.  If you are
interested in more details email me.  The driver costs around $130, the
wood should cost around $30 (3/4 inch MDF) and various connectors, carpet,
wire, paint, adhesive and screws another $40.  You can find an amp with a
built in adjustable low pass crossover to finish the project.
Jaime
99 M3