2000 740i rear lights on a 95 740i? Is it possible?

I heard from someone in England on this digest that he switched out his
rear light cluster on his 95 730i for a year 2000 (jewel style) rear light
cluster with a minimal amount of work at a cost of $200 per light cluster
($400 total).  Plus, he added the chrome trim strip above the license plate
to make it more year 2000 compliant (the 2000 look!).  I went to my dealer
(Tischer in Laurel Md) yesterday to have my emissions recall work
completed, and asked them about this, and they said a customer tried this
but couldn't do it as the wiring wasn't compatible...  Anyone know if this
is possible on our US model 740i's?  Anyone in the US tried this yet
successfully?

Thanks for your input.
Steve Robinson
1995 740i (looking for that year 2000 look!)
1988 911