Re: bmw-digest V9 #1210

> From: "Allan Williams" <allanw@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: cleaning ICV
>
> I don't recommend WD-40 as a lube, but it cleans things very well - that's
> why it sucks so much as a lube.

To a certain extent. Yes it does clean adequately because it's a solvent. That's also why it
evaporates and does not do a good job lubrifing. When cleaning something like the IVC you still
need a light film of lubricant to be left after cleaning which is why WD40 is not the best.
After about 20mn, specially under the hood where there's heat the WD40 is all gone. You need
something that will clean and lubrify. DuraLube One is all right. If you can get your hands on
some Zep 45 (only available to commercial or industrial customers, ask your local garage they
might have some or have heard of it) you will have the best cleaner lubricant for the this job.
Zep45 is about $8.00 a can of 22oz.(big can). Zep45 contains Teflon by Dupont and Vidax. The
Teflon give it it's great lubricity and the Vidax make it a great penetrant. It also contains
mineral solvent so that it can clean very well. Once the cleaning is done the solvent evaporates
and leave the coating of Teflon to lubrify. Something WD40 will never be able to do. It's like
buying a BMW versus a Lada, you get what you pay for. It is made by the company ZEP. It is only
sold to garage and not available on the shelf.
If you ever get your hands on some of this you will never want to use WD40 again trust me.

> It tends to wash oil away. I use it to clean
> my hands before using a mild soap - works great!

Ouch! The solvent must dry your hands up like crazy? That's what it's meant for. Remember what
hapens when you use paint thinner to wash your hands? Same thing. Try an actual heavy duty hand
soap ( a lot of them also contain solvent which dry up the hands) with natural solvent like
orange or lemon. Good quality soaps will work great with very little of them and with leave

Marc Leveille
85 535i
BMWCCA # 174094