chip scum?

G'day I have an Euro E30/B23 that has L-Jet & old type Bosch computer;
local chip maker (Superchip) in Australia tells me that the whole box
will need 2 b replaced because the ROM chip is soldered onto the PCB;
After having a closer look, the actual housing of the ICU is sealed! If
any1 pulled these ICU's apart, is it actually the same chip as in
"newer" models or a different animal? Being a Toshiba Technician sureley
I'd b able 2 remove the original chip and solder in a new one.... The
above company quated me A$650 2 replace the whole box, yet for models
with replacwable chips are $120 4 the chip;
Cheers!

TPC AKA Yuri
E30 323i <<< Daytona Violett :))
0415 378 320