General M3 question

I am currently looking at purchasing a M3 convertible.  I recently heard
that production for the 3 series convertibles are in short supply as there
may or may not be a 2000 model.

Does anyone have any additional feedback on this?  I can go down to my BMW
dealer today and put down $1000 and get into a 12 week wait cycle for a
1999.  I would only hate to do that if there is better information out there
than what I have gotten currently.  Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Darrell Riddle - future BMW owner
darrell.riddle@domain.elided