Re: Online Title Searches

Donnelly <donnelly@domain.elided> wrote:

> Has anyone had any success with online tile and history searches such as
> "Carfax".  The car I am researching is a good 4 hour drive away and I would
> like to have a little information upfront before I leave.  TIA  Chris D
> '86 325 248K  '87 420sel 189K  '87 240DL 148K '68 Ford XL 72K "The Beast"

 Just for yuks,  a VW friend gathered several VIN#'s from the gang and
while his $19.95 access was activated,  ran a bunch of VINs and mailed
the reports back to us all.  The one for my 89 325is showed the previous
title transfers,  when it passed it's smog tests,  when the 1st lien was
reported,  when title and registration were issued,  when the odometer
reading was recorded once by the Calif DMV,  and when my own title
transfer transaction took place soon after i bought the car, and in
every line the reported mileage is listed.  I'd say it's definitely useful
when considering a car.  If you're looking at several cars,  gather and
organize all their VIN#'s then when you get your 6 hours (?) of access
you can run them all at the same time (get the most out of your $20).
You can even run all your friend's and family's VINs as well as all
your other cars' VIN's.... ...  ...  ..   .    .     .         .             .

Here's some other things it checked:

 Salvage/Junk Title                         Checked. No Problem Title Found.
 Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title             Checked. No Problem Title Found.
 Flood Damage Title                         Checked. No Problem Title Found.
 Damage Disclosure Title                   Checked. No Problem Title Found.
 Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON) Title  Checked. No Problem Title Found.
 Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title         Checked. No Problem Title Found.
 Not Actual Mileage Title                   Checked. No Problem Title Found.

 The VIN submitted for this 1989 BMW was checked against the Carfax
database to determine if any reported odometer reading is less than a
previous reading.

RESULT: No odometer rollback detected in the Carfax database.

RESULT: CLEAN TITLE HISTORY GUARANTEED FOR THIS VEHICLE

 Needless to say i was quite relieved to know the official history of
my recently-aquired BMW  :-D

 Randy
 89 325is
 A few VWs