removing haze from plastic lenses, etc.

Jim says:
>I have a problem with the clear plastic instrument cover on the 92 535i
>just bought. The plastic has been sprayed with something that has made
is
>develop a white haze, apparently within the plastic. Does anyone have a
fix
>for this, or do I have to pay the $100.00 for the new lense? And what
the
>heck is it that did this to it, so I can avoid doing it myself? Thanks.

I use a three stage plastic polishing compound called Novus. The first
stage is for deep scratches and surface problems, the second is for
minor scratches, and the final one is a polish/glaze/protectant.
It's made for acrylic, but works very well on other plastics, also, such
as styrene, polycarbonate, etc., clear or otherwise.
I used it once to polish a piece of acrylic, that had been scuffed with
000 steel wool, back to crystal clear., I alsoused it to polish the side
marker lenses and taillights on my car. It's not cheap, but it's good
stuff.
You can get it from any plastics distributor (and possibly some art
supply stores).
If you are near Mid-North Indiana (Lafayette/Indy), you can get it at
Meyer Plastics (AKA Sagamore Plastics).

Regular paint buffing compound works also.
- --
Do Svedanya!
Neil Hitze
'91 318is
'85 318i
Industrial Designer for hire  ---> http://www.hitze.com/~neil

"..the underdog will eventually survive...." --Colin James Hay
   "This is not a step."  --Heywood Banks