Re: [E30][M42]Replacing belts (alternator) ?

I did replace my belts on my 318 E30 a couple of months ago. It is a simple
procedure. Take a look at your alternator pulley, it will align with the empty
slot of the crankshaft pulley and water pump if I'm correct. Loosen the
retaining nuts of the alternator, and take a look you will see an adusting nut
to slack the alternator so you can put the belt on. Of cour you will have to
remove the other belt(s) if they are in the way. Power steering is adjusted the
same way. The A/C compressor is fixed to the engine, you have to loosen the
idler puller (is that the good name?) to loosen the belt and then move the
adjusting nut. Change the 3 belts at the same time. I took my belts at the
dealer, I was surprised that they had almost the same price as a jobber belt and
I have no doubt about quality.Alternator and power steering are done over the
fender, AC is done from underneath the car for the adjusting nut.

BTW  I contacted Bentley to know when they would re-edit the E30 manual to
include the M42 engine in it, because this is what the girl over the phone told
me a year ago they would do, but now they have other priority so they won't
re-edit it. The solution they gave me was to by the E30 AND E36 book, not a
cheap solution...

Good luck
Michel Drainville
91 318IC