E28 tire recommendations

I was wondering what advice you all might have about what tire I
should buy for my '88 528e.  The bad news is that, since I have to
also buy books in about a week and a half, I can't afford to spend
that much, which basically rules out really good tires.

So: what sort of four-tire set can I get for $200-$300?  These will be
year-round tires, and I don't mind having to replace them every year
or two if they'll give good dry-weather (and safe snow and rain)
performance.  Performance (stickiness) is the most important feature
for me, although not to the total exclusion of features like being
able to hold a conversation while at highway speeds.

While we're at it, would it be worthwhile to try to squeeze an extra
10mm width onto the stock alloys, or would it just be a waste of time?
(Will the tires fall off when I go around a corner?)

Thanks!

- --
Eric McCoy (emccoy@domain.elided)

"misfortune, n. The kind of fortune that never misses."
	- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary