E30: Steering related

Hi,

While maneuvering the steering rack around to get to some stuff, I have ended
up pulling the steering rod coming through the fire wall, about an inch or so
into the engine compartment.  It is still connected to the steering wheel as I
can turn the steering wheel and cause motion in the wheels.  But I am unable
to push it back that one inch to correctly install the steering rack back on
the sub-frame.

Question:

The steering rod coming through the fire wall, is it splined on both ends?  If
so, then should I be able to jiggle it and force it back through?  If not,
what is the solution?

Any ideas are helpful at this point as I have a driver school next weekend.
Why do problems ONLY appear before the driver schools? :-)

TIA
- --
Sammy A. Haroon,  Taxila, Inc.,  770.234.9087
mailto:SAH@domain.elided
http://sah.home.mindspring.com/
- --
"Once spirit was God, then it became man, and now it is even becoming mob."
Thus Spoke Zarathustra, part 1, "Of Reading and Writing" (1883)