535i Cold Start "Moaning" noise.

OK everyone, this is a weird one. I've got an '86 535i with about 150k on
it. I'm the second owner, and only had the car for about 3 weeks. So far
everything's been great. But in the last week, I've noticed that upon cold
starting, I hear what can only be described as a "moaning" noise emenating
somewhere near the firewall. It happens once - lasting only a couple
seconds, and doesn't reappear untill the next cold start.

Has anyone ever heard this before? Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

mcd