<e28> Automatic transmission

Well, it finally happened...  finally destroyed the "A" clutch pack on my
'85 535i  ZF 4HP-22 automatic.  I had it in Park at 1500 rpm for a minute
while adding freon and this killed it (although it has been marginal for
years -- the car would creep forward in neutral).  I did the whole
rigamarole of not putting it into gear before revving, etc. as per the TSB,
but it fried anyway (BTW, not right away.  I drove it in the afternoon and
it was fine, but going up a hill last night, I lost all forward gears.  I
know someone who drove home in reverse when this happened, but even though
it was only 2 miles, I thought better of it and had it flatbedded.)  Anyway,
at 140k miles, it does not owe me anything (although I still wish they
hadn't built them to self destruct at any age).

I must have tempted the gods, because I just put on 4 new 15" wheels & tires
and a new exhaust within the last few weeks.  If I had left it low on freon,
it would still be running, but I wanted it perfect (well not perfect but at
least cool).  Kind of like the E.A. Poe story where, just when the guy gets
his wife's birthmark to fade completely, she dies.

Anyway, my question is: what do I do next?  Put in a rebuilt unit ($1000+)?
Get a known working unit from a wreck ($200)?  Have this unit rebuilt? $$$?
Just the "A" clutch or the whole thing?  I don't have the facilities to do
this myself, so it will need to go to a shop.  Does anyone know how many
hours labor to remove + replace automatic (not including rebuild)?  Looking
at the Bentley, it does not seem awful... remove exhaust (this should be
easy since it is new), remove driveshaft, remove a few lines, unscrew a few
bolts, drop tranny, but I know the devil is in the details.

Has anyone converted from auto to manual?  What is involved here?
Obviously, in addition to transmission itself, you need clutch pedal, master
cylinder, interior shifter trim.  What else?  Do you need to change the
drive shaft?

Iz Lipschitz
'85 535i 140k miles
Reverse gear only at the moment