Re: Kumho tire pressures

At 07:34 PM 7/21/99 , TeamM3@domain.elided wrote:
>B. Kennedy writes:
>
><<  I recommend 31 or 32 to start, and then adjust down from there based on
> on rollover, under vs. oversteer, and/or tire temperatures.
> As low as 27 may be ideal. >>
>
>IMO, unless you've got aftermarket camber compensation those pressures are
>*way* low for the front and likely to lead to accelerated wear with Kumho
>tires.  The key is to judge rollover using the small triangles cast on outer
>tread corners.  You want the tire to rollover only to the tip of the
>triangle; typically not less and certainly not more.

I run 29-31# and the wear just rubs the very tips of the triangles.  Almost
all my tread is gone at this point, but the triangles are all still intact.
HOWEVER, the reason that works for me may be just as Mark says:  I have
swapped my strut hats to get more negative camber up front and I have
adjusted my rear camber to nearly the most negative setting.

One other comment:  the Kumhos have remarkably stiff sidewalls.  When
I first had them installed, one of the valves was leaking.  The pressure
was about 15# when I noticed -- you couldn't tell from looking at it and
there was no wear on the sidewalls (in gentle driving) -- the turn-in was
just way slow.  Well, just some food for thought.

But definitely watch those triangles!
And, if you lack negative camber, perhaps you should start with higher
pressures than I recommended.

Brian

End of bmw-digest V9 #1166